When using freight shipping services, you may often think of opting for less than truckload freight shipping. This is usually the case when you do not need to deliver heavy shipments. However, it is important to understand that you can get better service and possible better rates when you take some steps to maintain a healthy relationship between you and your shipping company. You can actually do a number of things here to build that trust. For instance:
- Be sure to report accurate weights. It is important in all types of shipping options, but you should be very careful about it when going for less than truckload freight shipping. You need to understand that carriers today weigh more than 80% of the shipments, and inaccurate weights are only going to increase expenses. You are responsible for reporting the weight of your shipment, so be very clear and honest about it to avoid any mistrust.
- Be sure to submit an accurate bill of lading. It is true that not all carriers audit every bill of lading, but you should avoid taking any risk here. Moreover, there is an increase in the number of carriers re-checking the bills of lading because it has become a common problem in the industry. Therefore, it is important to use accurate bill of lading, especially in case of less than truckload shipping. You may want to use a transportation management system to avoid errors by using automation features.
- Pay attention to the accessorial charges. If you are overly concerned about accessorial charges, such as costs of lift gates, residential service, or set appointments, you will be better off putting your money on less than truckload freight shipping. Package freight shipping usually has 45 accessorial charges, whereas less than truckload shipping may only have 15 or so. Be sure to make a right choice considering your unique requirements.
- Pay special attention to packaging when using less than truckload shipping. Packaging is important for all types of shipping services, but it becomes even more critical when you choose less than truckload shipping. Carriers need to spend more money to take care of shipments that are not packaged correctly. They even have to repackage the shipment, which may be a waste of time and money. Therefore, it is important to ensure that you shipment is packaged correctly. This saves your carrier from spending extra money and keeps you from having your freight damaged during shipment.
- Consider combining item whenever possible. Your carrier will thank you for this. It is also easier for carriers to handle one pallet with loads of shrink-wrapped piece than dealing with hundreds of individual pieces. By combining items, you will be able to give them one or two pallets, which makes handling a lot easier.
The fact of the matter is that you need to take an initiative and keep certain tips in mind to establish better relationship with your carrier. It will certainly pay you well in the long-run.