Refrigerator is considered as the most difficult appliance to move due to its huge size and weight. People are also confused about what can remain inside the fridge while moving it. It is suggested to take a professional help to carry out this challenging task.
Following the below mentioned tips will guide to handle this tricky piece in better manner:
- Planning of moving a fridge should be done a day in advance. Before moving any fridge, it is required to read its manual book, as every fridge is different from others and that’s why handling it also vary. Movers and Packers will helps you to move your fridge easily. Ensure that you follow necessary safety measures mentioned in the manual book.
- Ensure that everything inside the fridge is taken out and all the compartments including freezer is fully vacated. All eatable items, which may get perished in room temperature should be used or distributed among neighbours and friends. Other things left inside should be properly packed and kept in one corner safely. Eye drops and other medicines may get spoiled in room temperature, so such things should be kept in neighbour’s refrigerator.
- Take out all ice-cube trays to avoid excess weight. While moving, they can get damaged also if kept inside. Remove all the shelves and pack them along with trays. If there are many shelves,then put different colour stickers to avoid confusion while rearranging shelves after move.
- Unplug the refrigerator powercord and properly coil it. Tie it properly with fridge body to avoid any damage while shifting. A day before moving, keep refrigerator door open for overnight to defrost the ice inside freezer. Defrosting may take 6-8 hours, so ensure that you plan accordingly. Wipe the entire refrigerator properly from inside before start packing.
Advanced Packing Methods:
- Fasten the doors properly by using ropes. In case if you are having double door refrigerator, then tie both doors together. Ensure that you put cardboard packing between fridge surface and rope to avoid any damage or scratch while pulling or lifting it. Tie refrigerator door such a way, that while moving they don’t open up otherwise it may end up breaking permanently.
- Do not tie doors very tightly, otherwise while moving and lifting there is a chance of pulling them out of alignment, which may end up damaging doors permanently. If move is going to more than a day, then keep the doors slightly open for ventilation. This will prevent growing any mildew inside while moving for long.
Adequate Moving Technique:
- Do not try to lift it alone, otherwise you may end up hurting yourself. It is always advisable to take professional assistance, which will make the entire move absolutely stress free.
- Use refrigerator dolly to easily move the appliance safely and comfortably till van. Cautiously place bottom of the fridge over dolly and tie it with straps to avoid falling while shifting.
- Maintain upright position properly while putting fridge on dolly to avoid oil seeping into cooling tubes. Never evermove refrigerator on its side or back. There is a high risk of oil inside compressor flowing into cooling tubes, which can damage the entire cooling system when restarted. If side move is absolutely unavoidable, then ensure that upright angle is properly maintained to avoid damage.
- Move in the direction opposite the tilt to maintain maximum safety. Please ensure that one person should hold handles of the doors to avoid any accident.
- Carefully lift refrigerator into truck. Professional movers understands your genuine needs that can help you to avoid undesired incident. If you are moving on your own, then ensure that it is kept in the proper upright position into van. Same amount precautions should be taken while unloading. Keep fridge in one position for 3-4 hours before plugging in, so that can allow oil and fluid to flow back to compressor. It may take 1-2 days for refrigerator to return to the proper cooling temperature like before. Rearrange all the shelves like before with the help of manual book.